Friday, September 10, 2010

LEDs and Monster Marshmallows

I spent my day cleaning the office and building a tank hood (not really in that order).  I have a betta fish (named Betta) who’s lived in a half gallon bowl for a while now.  Since we have a 10 gallon tank and stand already i figured i would upgrade him.  A betta fish in a 10 gallon thinks he is in a palace.  The challenges were getting filtration going on the cheap and building a hood since we threw away the old one a while back.

I found a 5V power supply in the junk drawer and went to work getting some LEDs and resistors to light the tank.  I threw in some switches too so the boys could change the lighting for fun.  I must say the wiring on the inside looks like spaghetti but if I ever do it again I can make it neater.  With all the lights on the tank uses 5 watts including the air pump.

The tank is working on it's biological cycle>  It has a undergravel filter which takes a couple of weeks to develop the aerobic bacteria required to effectively eat the organic waste.  So its a little cloudy and bubbly right now :)

All three switches on:

'

Thes whites off: (the bubbles are lit from below)


Moonlight mode:



The big marshmallows tonight were cool.  They require some adjustment in roasting technique to melt the center and are quite messy.





One Marshmallow, 2 Whole Grahams and 3/4 of a Hershey bar:


1 comment:

Heidi said...

Dude! Next time giant marshmallows are involved...call us! I'll bring coffee! :)