Thursday, December 17, 2009

120 miles a day here I come!

In preparation for my Zen inducing commute, I have decided to quit taking for granted my snow-demon-rice-burning-pinnacle of reliability. It has been in the shop twice in the 100,000 miles we've owned it. For the past 2 years I have put off certain routine maintenance items due at 100K.... Plus anything to increase efficiency at this point can have some saving potential trying to improve on 25 MPG Hwy.

I snagged some NGK spark plugs to replace the original plugs that had to be getting tired. Now I am no stranger to getting over my head with a simple spark plug replacement after trying for 3 hours to remove the rear three from Heather's old van (I was successful in the end) but this engine is a boxer which means the cylinders are horizontally opposed (which means a tight squeeze!). I had to remove the air box, battery and windshield washer reservoir to gain access. I sustained my usual cuts and bruises that always happen when I turn a wrench but since I'm not scouring the internet for work...I don't really care.

My little helper...
IMG_3184
Yep those red wires lead to the plugs...recessed 3 inches into the motor...
IMG_3183
Next up two half shaft replacements. I've done one on this car already but both inner boots are cracked...whats up with that?
IMG_3186

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Since you're already outside working on the cars and stuff, mine could use an oil change, tire rotation, and a wash and wax. Should be no problem after the Subaru! Oh and if you could vacuum it out and check the tire pressure....that would be great! ;)

Lepeintre said...

Weird - both your brothers were also working on a car today. We replaced the van's alternator and front brake pads and rotors. Look forward to seeing you all soon!