Monday, December 21, 2009

Joy and Pain

For the past three days I have been tackling the two front axles on the Subaru. Having done one before, I had supreme confidence heading in. This turned out to be one of those Subaru jobs my father-in-law tried to warn me about...Dude. For some reason on this car the axle (re)manufacturers decided to have you reuse a stub off the old axle you are replacing. This stub removal ended up costing me many broken tools, a broken spirit, and nearly broken bones! Yikes. The first axle was ok but second had a roll pin stuck preventing the stub from being removed. I tried speaking in French to it but no joy (I don't know any Japanese). Drilling was a mistake. Pounding with all the tools I could think of did no good (especially with the drill bit now stuck in there). I took it to a shop and he couldn't do it either. To quote Little Critter..."I was so MAD". Either the junk yard or a special Subaru parts order seemed to be the only choice. Heather saw she might lose her Husband to a 1.5 inch roll pin so she prayed for the ordeal to end and I subsequently got the pin out and finished the job. Yeah baby...

Oh the madness...
IMG_3216
two tired half shafts...
IMG_3215

But in the end...

59 bucks for 1 axle (the other was under warranty)
probably 30-35 bucks in broken tools...(that's how I roll)
and hope the car doesn't pull a blues brothers...

versus:
$400 per axle at the shop....

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Remind me to tell you sometime about my dad's run-in with his circular saw and hammer. It will make you feel better.