Monday, December 20, 2010

My Hooptie Rollin'

Yesterday the Subaru decided to rebel while driving to church, spewing forth a fury of antifreeze induced steam as I rolled into a parking space. It still sits there, probably until the new year when I can get to it. Hopefully it is just a failed thermostat (failed closed that is) instead of the blown head gasket those engines are known for.

If that wasn't bad enough Heather rolled into the driveway with the van ailing...a broken turn signal cam causing great alarm -- crunching plastic with every turn of the wheel. This managed to trash the new turn signal I installed a while back (or did the new turn signal trash the cam) -- either way, it must be fixed. Unfortunately I had to replace the clockspring since the cam was attached to it.

This was my first foray into removing the steering wheel. It was a little intimidating with the airbag sitting there. Thanks to youtube I had plenty of instruction and after about two hours the job was complete.




That plastic white piece is supposed to be attached to the clockspring. Thank you Chrysler for a stellar design. 


As a reward when I finished, there was a gorgeous snow. 30 degrees and no wind -- just big soft flakes pouring down. Everybody headed outside for a night time snowball fight.



1 comment:

Heidi said...

A completed car repair without tearing up your hand...I'm impressed! :) On to the Suby!