Saturday, August 23, 2008

Concert Report

Heather and I are in hearing recovery mode today. I stuffed high tech hearing protection media (toilet paper) in my ears for a portion of the concert. We were there for 4 and a half hours...feeling our age a bit. My main concern leaving the house was to not miss Jars of Clay (since they were not Headlining the show). 6pm is an early start with the drive to VWMC taking and hour and a half with traffic. I figured Robert Randolf would open up. Wrong. We waltzed in at 5:59 and hit the rest room before seeing the stage. Staring at a urinal when "Flood" starts playing is not what I had pictured in my mind...so I bolt (yes I washed) and left Heather wondering where her husband was.

JOC was great as expected, polished and innovative with songs that have been around for years. A lot of their new stuff is more rock driven and was fun to hear at 105db. They did to all wear white. I felt Austin Powers was going to pop out on stage at any given time :-). That aside it was fun (but short, at 35 minutes) and I got to shake Dan Haseltine's hand.

100_4647 copy

Who else could get away with playing this bass drum in a rock concert?

100_4646

100_4648 copy

JOC COVER

At this point my camera's battery thingie is flashing (i just charged it) so we are conserving shots for Third Day. I am also changing the cameras ISO to 400 (on my Junker point and shoot) which is like asking the Pres to say "Nuclear"...it's gonna try but it probably wont be pretty.

Robert Randolph was fun and super talented but I didn't really know any of his stuff...Mac Powell Liked it:

100_4650 copy


100_4652

Co-Headliner Switchfoot jammed the stage next with heavy guitar driven songs. The singer came into the crowd and into our row.

100_4657 copy

100_4659 copy

100_4654 copy

A great show but by now we are tired. We didn't know what the crowd would be like for Third Day since Switchfoot has a large following that might leave...what a wasted thought. Third Day not only stole the show but incorporated a worship experience lacking in the other bands. I didn't want to loose the experience worrying about pictures (or was it they all turned out bad..anyway) what a great show.

100_4663 copy

100_4666

100_4665

For the encore, everyone come out and sang a couple including "I'll Fly Away". Ended the night on a great note. The drive out..not so much fun, but thats ok.

PS... Alan 9-19-08 Raleigh






3 comments:

Heidi said...

Very cool! Looks like a great time and great seats. :)

Sarah said...

I have to say that was starting to look like a Diane blog! But it does sound like you had fun.

Lepeintre said...

Sounds like a blast! Maybe I'll see if I can get a group together. Hope the busy day is going well.