Tuesday, September 29, 2009

HDR and the Zoo

The boys had a teacher work day so we chose to get back to the zoo after a nearly two year hiatus. We headed out dressed semi appropriately for the cooler temps and packed a few sandwiches. I gotta say WOW after some time between visits the plantings (especially trees) have really grown. Same dolphin show tho :-) I loaded the Canon with my lens that even Heather calls crappy. Must be the worst lens ever made by Canon. But it's light and I don't worry about the boys banging it on anything while they are taking pictures (which I encourage)...So if the pics stink thats my excuse.

Here is Heather half-way through the picnic lunch...it's not lookin' good folks! (this look is in lesson three of the Parenting Class Heather is about to lead)...

zoo007b.jpg

So we recovered from that and moved on. Here she is much happier (obviously because I'm next to her). I'm hoping my new toupee looks natural and no one will notice:

Edit: No its not really a toupee...just photoshop

zoo048b.jpg

Here are a few shots of the boys since no one really "reads" this blog for anything else :0

zoo085.JPGzoo030.JPGzoo054.JPG

Finally I tried some HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography techniques today. You take three shots of the same picture: one normal exposure, one under-exposed and one over-exposed. You then send it through a process that takes all three pictures and creates floating point values for the exposure versus integer values...but I digress. You run it through appropriate software and "BAM"... a wicked cool looking picture like this:


OK so I didn't get a picture quite like that (lets blame it on the overcast day and frankly, the subject) but here is one I tried (there is a watermark since I used shareware to create it)

zoo013_1_2_tonemapped
Here is a one shot normal exposure to compare...no really it's neat! Kinda?!
zoo011.JPG

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Several thoughts:

1. ISO 1600 bites again! :)
2. Nice hair - kinda got a crazy Kate Gosselin thing going on.
3. Now I definitely have to start playing with HDR!

Paul and Briana said...

You know we look at the writing and the pictures! On that note the picture of you and Heather is WONDERFUL! You guys look so happy and yes, I really like the hair!

Anonymous said...

No we don't just look at the blog for pics of the boys. We love the pic of you and Heather and the hair is nice. Is it really a toupe,and of course bryson is camera shy? the one of hayden looking down at Jake is cute. love papaw & mamaw

PEC said...

No toupee just photoshop

Heather said...

Thanks honey.