Friday, February 19, 2010

INDOC-ish training over at HP

This was the final week of my initial training at HP. My team finished our project and documentation with much work but in the end it was fairly polished and ran well. For those who don't know (and care) I am now programming C in the UNIX environment. This is a stark difference from the C# ( "C Sharp" ) Windows world which I learned initially. C is MUCH older and granular. You program on a much lower level ( meaning less between you and the hardware ) and control many more things manually that the newer programming languages and frameworks do for you. Poor C programming often leads to "core dumps" and the dreaded "Blue Screen of Death". Overall if I am to stay in this field, learning C is a blessing that will benefit any other programming I do in the future.

As of now I ( and many other classmates ) have no "account". Monday they will have to find something for me to do... I have turned to I65 for the drive saving 5 - 10 minutes over I74...traffic isn't SO bad in the Morning. Using I65 my GPS is within a minute of the estimated time leaving the house :).

I meant to take a few pics of the office today will have to post that l8r.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool , Paul. Glad your thru with the training. Wonder what they will have you doing next. Glad you were able to knock a few minutes off your travel time, every bit helps, I'm sure. Hsaid you maybe looking for smaller car with better mileage. Don't consider a smart car. O.K.? Mamaw& Papaw

Ladd said...

WTG!

Lepeintre said...

Nice! Yeah, while C is a lot more work, you can really optimize your application. So much fun to have another techie in the fam. Multi-threading yet?

Painter el Cinco said...

NO multi-threading in C yet...at my level in the company :-) there is an optimization process in the lifecycle for appropriate applications.

In C# I did some multi-threading in class and also on the Hope Splash page...the Silverlight application loads the pictures asynchronously allowing the page to appear before the pictures are loaded.