Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ahhh. just in time...

Since we have finished bathroom #2, Bathroom #1 now decides to fall apart.  This is totally an issue that could have been avoided if a Bob Vila like person was living here...but we just have me.  So here we go.  Any comments with "real" suggestions would be appreciated.

[original photo deleted by PEC's wife]

So we had a grout/caulk issue that has led to water damage where the tub meets the wall tile.  The drywall and insulation behind has mildewed and is unusable.  My plan now is to rip out all the tile/drywall around the tub and replace with new greenboard and a 3 piece bathtub (plastic or fiberglass...whtever) bathtub surround.  Seeing as we have to bathe Shamoo 1 and 2 here regularly...a glass door may be installed to repel splashes.  Money is no object...as long as we don't have to spend much.  I also scored a new vent fan (the "fart chaser 3000") from Lowes on clearance for 5 bucks!!!  I figure I'll need ventalation in leu of the plastic isolation curtain professionals would use to remove the black stuff.  Wish me luck as Heather has deemed this a project that must be completed expiditiously.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I have no "real" suggestions, I'm just disappointed that I missed the original photo!

Sarah said...

Yeah I want to see the original photo too!

Anonymous said...

Me three on the photo and personally your suggestion sounded very 'bob vilaish' to me

Anonymous said...

Wow... that's a great fan name! Good luck with all the stuff. I'm installing some hardwood floors this weekend, and hopefully getting new carpet installed next week.

Anonymous said...

You could use right and left "splash guards" which attach to the tub/wall. A curtain would still be used. However, if one and a halfs are being performed off the edge of the tub the door may be the better choice. It would also protect the floor. Wish I was there to help. good luck,...papaw

Paul and Briana said...

I have no suggestions--other than to Heather...keep your distance from Paul!! I know that when my Paul was working on the bathroom he noted a few times that he was NO PLUMBER! I wish that we were there to help...Paul is a much better help than me but I can paint really well! Love you guys and good luck! Briana