Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The waterfall picture

Briana...here are the settings for water motion:

  • Tripod or balanced on rock in my case
  • Aperture Priority
  • Aperture set to smallest (f22) for maximum depth of field and long auto-exposure
  • ISO set to lowest (ISO 100)...
  • focus somewhere in the middle to hopefully get everything sharp
  • Resulting automatic shutter speed was 1.3 seconds (to get silky water motion)
  • use GIMP or Photoshop (or whatever) to remove bikini girl with clone tool so your wife doesn't think you are blogging the bikini girl
  • Early morning, late afternoon or any lack of direct sun is better
  • I read an article that claimed since the onset of digital photography, 30% of the picture is composed in the field and 70% is in photoshop type post processing...I believe it!

The crooked original in most of its glory (I had to remove you know who so I wouldn't be demolished when she got home):

McCormicksCreek_092 copy2.jpg

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Hmm, "bikini girl: cloned" didn't appear in the EXIF data when I looked at it. :)

Paul and Briana said...

Thanks for the info Paul and good idea about the bikini girl!

Paul and Briana said...

by the way looks like good fly fishing water up there!