Friday, January 1, 2010

Mammoth Cave

On new Year's Eve we awoke in a Super 8. As a pilot, I became a hotel snob and shunned Super 8s but this one was nice. I don't think I had stayed in a hotel since I flew so the feeling was a bit strange. That strangeness quickly subsided when I realized there were four other people sharing the room with me some of whom where jumping back and forth between the beds. Mammoth cave was fun on a rainy day. The tour was scheduled for 2 hours and while our tour guide was great, she must have had a hot date since we emerged after an hour and 35 minutes. I'm gonna blame the rushed pace for my lack of quality pictures (or something like that). There were over a hundred tickets available for our slot meaning a small group today. Aside from us and a handful of families, we were joined by a large group of Amish teens on a field trip (unsupervised) all dressed in Amish garb. FYI Mammoth Cave is the largest cave system in the world with 300+ miles of connected cave. On 1/1/2010 there should be enough confirmed exploration to push that number to 400 + miles.

The entrance...
IMG_3485
There was a central "foyer" pretty close to the entrance. Here is our Ranger taking a brief moment to talk about the impact of the cave in the war of 1812.
Mommoth Cave
Stephen Bishop was a slave who was credited with much of the exploration of Mammoth. He often only used a lamp and later led tours through the cave. Since he wasn't paid he (and others) would take tips to allow tourist to make candle smoke writings on the cave walls...
Mommoth Cave
The last day for the Mammoth Cave Christmas Tree...
Mommoth Cave
Here I am blinding all the tourist with my flash...Ooops
Mommoth Cave
More Stuff...
Mommoth Cave
Finally, driving home in a misty rain, the sun broke through ahead of an arctic cold front (it was 8 degrees when I got up this morning) so here is the last sunset of 2009 picture...I have titled it: "Smelly Gas Station Bathed in the Fading Light of 2009" enjoy.
Sunset on 2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are cool pictures Paul. The cave must have been awesome. Happy new year to all of you. LOL mamaw